February 11, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I decided it was time to try making my own laundry detergent.
At first I thought the idea of it was kinda stupid when you can buy it at the store, then the more I saw it on Pinterest...of course, the more I wanted to try it.
So I started looking at all the different recipes and sorting thru what I did and didn't like.
I decided to use a powder recipe I found on BumbleBee Bags website as a guide. I only changed a few things.
Here is the link to the original recipe I used as a guide for mine.
20 Minutes and 20 Dollars for a years worth of Laundry Soap!!
I used Zote vs Fels Naptha (I'm a sucker for pink. ;-)) and I didn't add the oils to mine. I like to be able to change the smells thru the year.
My next task will be trying to make my own laundry crystals...
So I actually ended up with my own recipe I guess. This is what I used:
1 4lbs box of Borax
1 4lbs box of Arm and Hammer Soda
1 3lbs box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 3lbs Tub OxyClean
3 bars Zote Soap
So I went to my local Walmart and got all the supplies I needed. It was $23.99 before tax for the ingredients.
I also bought some clear plastic gallon and quart size containers to keep it in. I wasn't sure how many I would need, so I bought extra.
I shredded the Zote with a cheese grater and then mixed everything in a giant bucket and then blended it together in my Magic Bullet.
It did take a while to blend because I could only do a little at a time but it worked great!


I made most of it for myself but I did package up a few containers to give to friends so they could test it out too. So far it's been good!


I use 1-2 tablespoons per load depending on what I'm washing or how big the load is.
I don't know how long the batch will last so I can't give you a break down on the price per load. But I was cheap to make and I'm sure it will last way longer than what I was using before.
I would love to hear about your experiences with making your own soap!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment